Google is going to release a new version of Android and it’s obvious that the next version will be named after any confectionary starts with “O.” This next version of Android A.K.A Android O will be going to similar to the previous version (Android 7.0 Nougat) in terms of the interface. But Google has something up his sleeves, features which you never thought of in a smartphone. Let’s see what Google is working on to make the next version of Android faster and smoother.
There are a lot of features in Android O which you may like a lot, but the best of them is the Picture in Picture mode which enables you to watch videos in a tiny floating window over other apps. To know about more features of Android O go here and make sure to bookmark that page because new functionality will be added to that page as soon as Google releases them. Here I am only going to tell you about how you can install Android O on your Nexus smartphone.
First, you should know if your smartphone is eligible for this update or not; these are the smartphones which qualify for this update; Nexus 5X, 6P, Player, Pixel C, Pixel, Pixel XL. So if you own one of these smartphones then let’s do it.
First get your smartphone ready, and for that, you have to enable developer mode on your smartphone and enable USB debugging. Go to Settings > About > tap on Build Number seven times, you will be notified about the developer menu. Go back to Settings > Developer Options > enable USB Debugging option from there.
Download these files:
- Image files according to smartphone: Nexus 5X, Nexus 6P, Nexus Player, Pixel C, Pixel, Pixel XL.
- Download SDK Platform-tools and unzip it on the desktop.
Steps to unlock bootloader
- Unzip the image file downloaded for your smartphone and move all the files to the SDK platform folder and replace any files if prompted (extracted in previous steps).
- Now hold the Shift key and right click inside the folder, select “Open command window here.”
- Type the command “adb reboot bootloader”, your phone will reboot and get stuck on this screen.
- Type this command in the command window, “fastboot flashing unlock”.
- Confirm the action on your smartphone by pressing the prompt key. This will wipe all your system memory and reboot your phone.
Steps to flash the Android O image
- Open the command prompt again (if you closed it) and again execute this command “adb reboot bootloader”.
- Now double click the flash-all.bat file, this will start to flash the image on your smartphone.
- Your phone will reboot after flashing and (optional steps) again you have to repeat step #1 to reboot it back to bootloader.
- Once in bootloader, type the command “fastboot flashing lock,” it will again ask you to press some button on your phone.
Your phone will reboot to Android O, set it up and start using your phone as usual. Also, don’t forget to come back to us and tell us what feature you like the most in Android O or shoot a question in comments if you have any about installation.