Xiaomi released the Xiaomi Mi Mix last year with a phablet size disaply; 6.44 inches display. Xiaomi smartphones comes with Xiaomi’s official MIUI interface on Android OS. If you bought this smartphone just for the large disaply and want to experience the pure Android 8.0 Oreo experience.
Here is the chance to install the Android 8.0 Oreo OS on your Mi Max via AOSP 8.0 custom ROM. AOSP custom ROM is based on the stock Android source code with minimal customization and all the features included. The custom ROM is now avaialble but with some minor bugs; flashlight, camcorder and sometime random reboots. But if you can live with that, then get ready to update your Xiaomi MI Max to Android 8.0 Oreo.
- The custom ROM installation will void your smartphone’s warranty and you won’t be able to claim the warranty back.
- Your Xiaomi Mi Max souldbe installed with a custom recovery, TWRP custom recovery is recommended.
- This custom ROM comes with some bugs, so get ready for them, all the bugs are listed above in second paragraph.
- If you have anything important on your smartphone then make sure to create a backup first.
- The download links to the necessary files are placed on the steps, download them from there.
- Do not attempt to use this guide or the custom ROM files on any other smartphone than Xiaomi MI Max, it may damage the device.
Steps to install the Android 8.0 Oreo on Mi Max
- Downlaod the custom ROM zip file from here, patch from here and Gapps from here.
- Once downloaded, move all the zip files to the smartphone’s internal memory. Put these files on the root directory, not inside any folder.
- Now reboot your smartphone to recovery mode.
- Once in recovery, tap on Backup and confirm to backup the previous ROM.
- Come back to main menu and tap on Wipe, confirm to wipe the internal memory.
- After wiping done, come back to main menu and tap on Install then select the custom ROM file. Tap on add more zip and select other two zip files with it.
- Now confirm to flash the custom ROM zip file on the smartphone.
Once the installation completes, you can reboot your smartphone to the system mode and you will see a new boot animation which means the custom ROM has been installed sucessfully.
Enjoy the Android 8.0 Oreo on your Xiaomi Mi Max and make sure to share this article with your friends to help them too. Also, make sure to bookmark this article and check the updates regularly for latest patches for the bugs of the ROM. Or if you find any difficulty installing this custom ROM then feel free to reach to us using the comment seciton or on our social media portals.