Motorola’s best selling G series smartphones are supposed to get the latest updates on everyone else, but the Moto G5 and G5 Plus haven’t got the update yet. Motorola is running the Android 8.0 Oreo Beta for these smartphones, but it got so many bugs and cannot be used as a daily driver. Some developer on XDA created a custom ROM for Moto G5 Plus which is based on Android 8.1 Oreo and comes with all the features of Google pixel smartphone.
If you want to install it on your smartphone, then make sure that you know something about rooting and flashing custom ROM. Although it doesn’t need any particular skill, it only needs the process to be done carefully. Some other things you need to take care of are:
- Create a backup of all your important data because everything will wipe off after flashing the custom ROM.
- Make sure that your phone has enough battery before starting the process.
- Your smartphone’s bootloader should be unlocked, and TWRP custom ROM should be installed.
Steps to upgrade Moto G5 Plus to Android 8.1 Oreo
- Download the custom ROM zip file from here and move it to your smartphone’s internal memory.
- Now reboot your smartphone to the recovery mode.
- Just use the Wipe option to wipe the system and get it ready for flashing.
- After that, use the Install option and choose the custom ROM zip file to install.
- Once installed the ROM, tap on Reboot System to reboot the smartphone to the OS mode.
Wait till the smartphone boots up and do not press any button during the first boot. It might take approximately 15 minutes or less to boot for the first time; after the setup, it will frequently boot as before. Now you have it, a working Android 8.1 Oreo on your Moto G5 Plus.
He is a geek by heart and owner of this super awesome tech website called TECHOZILLA. He operates everything here; news, how to, top 5 tech and gadget reviews.