Google has moved on from its Nexus smartphones lineup to Pixel series smartphones and leaving lots of Nexus smartphones behind by not providing the Android Oreo update. But Nexus 6 is getting the Android 8.0 Oreo update using a custom ROM. Nitrogen OS is a custom ROM is based on Android 8.0 OS from Google and has all the features of it. After installing this custom ROM on your Nexus 6, you will get the Android 8.0 Oreo’s features and user interface. So, here is a guide while will lead you to install the custom ROM on your Nexus 6.
First things First
- You need to know that installing a custom ROM requires your phone rooted and a custom ROM should be installed and doing this will void your phone’s warranty.
- The custom ROM installation is a perilous thing to do with your phone, so if you have no idea about custom ROMs then do not attempt this installation.
- Your phone should be fully charged before beginning the custom ROM installation.
- Backup all of your important stuff to a safe place, it might get all wiped up in the installation process.
- If you want custom recovery installation then let us know in the comments, we will create a step by step guide to it as well.
Download files here
Steps to update Nexus 6 to Android 8.0 Oreo
- Download the files downloaded from the above links and move them to your smartphones storages root directory.
- Turn your Nexus 6 off and boot it into the recovery mode.
- Once in recovery mode, tap on the Backup option and swipe to create a backup of your currently installed ROM. This might take long, do not touch your phone until this completes.
- After backing up, come back to main menu and tap on Wipe option and swipe to confirm wiping the device.
- Now come back to the main menu and tap the Install option and select the custom ROM zip file, then swipe to begin the installation.
- After installation, install the Google Apps zip file. DO NOT BACKUP OR WIPE, JUST INSTALL.
- There you go, tap on Reboot Now button to reboot the smartphone.
The ROM might take about 10 minutes to boot for the first time and reach the first setup. If it takes more than 20 minutes then, force reboot to recovery and just wipes the phone once. And if you have any other queries about the installation, just use the comment section.